Karuah RSL
CLUB HISTORYGet to know
Our Story
Today
Today the RSL Club is an accepted part of the town’s life. Years of voluntary effort were put into making the present establishment.
1979
Back in the day (1979) the Ode used to play at 9pm and the lights were switched off, except for the Ode lights. After the Ode, a minute’s silence was observed. One night, (New Years Eve 1978) whilst the lights were out for the Ode, a woman entered the club with a rifle and shot her husband. He was taken into the office area and members administered first aid; however, he died of his wound before an ambulance arrived. The woman was arrested and spent time in gaol.

1968
Extensions were done in late 1968, in 1974, in 1980, in…?. There have been several more additions/renovations since.
Originally the entrance was from Tarean Road, between the kitchen door and the auditorium window.

1967
A liquor licence was obtained in March 1967. By coincidence, the hotel licence was granted only months apart from the Club’s.
The first Secretary Manager after gaining the licence was the late Ern Adams.

1955
The RSL leased land from the Crown and constructed their first building in Tarean Road, next door to James and Mary Callaghan’s house.
On 30th September 1955 the Karuah and District War Memorial Club was opened. The main hall was 52 feet by 28 feet, with a clubroom 24 feet by 12 feet.
Due to widening of Tarean Road Callaghan’s house was removed. Subsequently the RSL leased what was Callaghan’s property to allow for expansion. Further leases were obtained toward to river to allow expansion and the establishment of a bowling green.
1946
Soon after the end of World War 2 a sub-branch was formed by returned men of the district. They received their charter in 1946. The foundation meeting was held in Johnson’s boat hire shed on the banks of the Karuah River. After the foundation meeting further meetings were held in private homes, the billiard room in Bonser Lane and Nestor Hall. It was decided to have a club of their own.
